Bạn đang xem: review collagen
Watch the video
What is collagen?Collagen is a type of protein found in the skin (types I and III collagen), joints (type II collagen) and other parts of the body toàn thân. It uniquely contains the amino acid hydroxyproline, along with other amino acids. Collagen in supplements is typically hydrolyzed, i.e., broken down to tướng amino acids and/or chains of amino acids (peptides) to tướng improve absorption as well as the ease with which it mixes into liquids, such as cold water. The specific composition of these "collagen hydrolysate" or "collagen peptide" products can vary somewhat depending on how they are hydrolyzed (which typically involves heat and enzymes). Gelatin also contains collagen, but is not soluble in cold water (see What It Is).
Health benefits of collagen:Collagen appears to tướng modestly reduce wrinkles and slightly improve the appearance of cellulite. It may also modestly improve joint pain and/or flexibility in osteoarthritis, help with tendons, and possibly help with the treatment of pressure ulcers, burns, and bleeding gums. These effects can require two to tướng six months of daily use (see What It Does).
What did CL's tests of collagen supplements find?ConsumerLab's tests showed that products contained their expected amounts of collagen, ranging, per daily serving, from about 2.9 grams to tướng trăng tròn grams among powders, and from 1.8 grams to tướng 6 grams for tablets and capsules. A cartilage-based product contained a much smaller amount (10 mg) but this is appropriate for that particular ingredient (see What CL Found).
- Among the products Approved in testing, ConsumerLab selected a Top Pick for skin (wrinkles) and a Top Pick for joint pain. In addition to tướng passing tests for quality, these products contained brands used in clinical studies that suggest benefits and, for powders, had superior taste when mixed in liquid.
How much collagen should I use?Typical daily dosage of hydrolyzed collagen is 1 to tướng 10 grams. Dosing with UC-II, a cartilage-based product, is much lower. Collagen may be taken with or without food. There is no "vegan collagen," as plants vì thế not produce collagen. However, there are some supplements that contain certain vitamins, amino acids, and other ingredients used in building collagen. For details see ConsumerTips.
Collagen supplements safety and side effects:Collagen supplements are generally well-tolerated, but mild side effects including gastrointestinal symptoms, headache, dizziness and rash can occur. People with allergies to tướng specific sources of collagen (such as fish) should avoid collagen products derived from these sources. Stop taking collagen before certain bone-related blood tests. For details, see Concerns and Cautions.
+— 47 sources
In addition the results of its expert testing, ConsumerLab uses only high-quality, evidence based, information sources. These sources include peer-reviewed studies and information from agencies such as the FDA and USDA, and the National Academy of Medicine. On evolving topics, studies from pre-print journals may be sourced. All of our nội dung is reviewed by medical doctors and doctoral-level experts in pharmacology, toxicology, and chemistry. We continually update and medically review our information to tướng keep our nội dung trustworthy, accurate, and reliable. The following sources are referenced in this article:
- Alcock, Front Nutr 2019
- Bongers, Appl Physiol Nutr Metab 2020
- Bruyere, Comp Ther in Med 2012
- Campos, J Cosmet Dermatol 2019
- Campos, Molecules 2021
- Cánovas, Nutrients 2022
- Cheng, African J Biotechnol 2011
- Choi, Clin Exp Dermatol 2014
- Choi, J Cosmet tia laze Ther 2014
- Crowley, Int J Med Sci 2009
- Devasia, J Diabetes Metab 2020
- Dressler, J Sports Sci Med 2018
- Eskiyurt, J Arthritis 2019
- Hatanaka, J Enzyme Inhib Med Chem 2014
- Hewlings, J Med Food 2019
- Hexsel, J Cosmet Dermatol 2017
- Hsu, Nutrients 2021
- Iwai, J Agric Food Chem 2005
- Jockel-Schneider, Nutrients 2022
- Kalman, J Cosmet Dermatol 2020
- Kim, J Med Food 2022
- Kumar, J Sci Food Agric 2014
- Lee, Adv Skin Wound Care 2006
- Lugo, J Int Soc Sports Nutr 2013
- Lugo, J Int Soc Sports Nutr 2019
- Lugo, Nutr J 2016
- Matsuda, J Nutr Sci Vitaminol 2006
- Miyab, Burns 2020
- Mohammed, Nutrients 2021
- Nomoto, Adv Skin Wound Care 2020
- Praet, Nutrients 2019
- Proksch, Segger, Skin Pharmacol Physiol 2014
- Proksch, Skin Pharmacol Physiol 2014
- Ruff, Int J Phys Med Rehabil 2020
- Sangsuwan, J Dermatolog Treat 2020
- Schunck, J Med Food 2015
- Schwartz Clin Interv Aging 2012
- Schwartz, Altern Ther Health Med 2019
- Shiojima, J Am Nutr Assoc 2022
- Shuster, Br J Dermatol 1975
- Sugihara, Sci Rep 2018
- Trc, Intl Orthop 2011
- Vijven, Osteo and Cartl 2012
- Yamanaka, J Nutr Intermed Metab 2017
- Zdzieblik, Br J Nutr 2015
- Zhang, Arthritis Rheum 2008
- Zhu, Am J Med Sci 2010
Alphabetical list of collagen supplement brands compared in this review
Alaya Multi Collagen
Ancient Nutrition Collagen Peptides - Unflavored
Besha Inc Collagen Peptides
Garden of Life Grass Fed Collagen Peptides - Unflavored
GNC Women's Collagen
Great Lakes Gelatin Co. Collagen Hydrolysate - Unflavored
Healthy Origins Natural UC-II
Xem thêm: Sục MLB rep 1:1 siêu hot like auth 99%
Living Well Nutraceuticals My Daily Collagen
NativePath Collagen Peptides
Sparkle Wellness Collagen For Healthy Joints
Sports Research Marine Collagen Peptides - Unflavored
Trunature Verisol Collagen
Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides - Chocolate
You must be a thành viên to tướng get the full test results along with ConsumerLab.com's recommendations and quality ratings for collagen supplements. You will get results for 10 collagen supplements selected for testing by ConsumerLab plus four others that passed the same testing in CL's voluntary Quality Certification Program.
In this comprehensive review of collagen supplements you'll learn:
- The differences among types of collagen (types I, II and III), forms of collagen (collagen hydrolysate, collagen peptides, gelatin, and "raw" undenatured collagen), and branded ingredients (Verisol, NeoCell, BioCell, UC-II, and NT2)
- Dosage for specific uses including wrinkles, joint pain, and building muscle
- Safety and side effects with collagen supplements
As a ConsumerLab.com thành viên, you may print a copy of this report for your personal use.
You can access a special print version by clicking the "Print" icon in the upper right corner of this report. You can then use your trang web browser's print functions to tướng print the whole report or just selected pages.
You may also tin nhắn or post a links to tướng this report using the trang web address above. Non-members using the links will see a không tính tiền summary and can join to tướng view the full report. Other means of copying or distributing this report, in part or full, are not permitted.
If you are sight-impaired and your computer is having trouble converting the text in this report to tướng speech, tương tác us for assistance at [email protected] or by phone at 914-722-9149.
Xem thêm: nền trắng hồng